One of the remarkable achievements made by Nepal in the last 14 years is rapid development of media. Realizing that media plays a vital role in transforming the society and people, we work with and through media to aware the public and stakeholders. The media monitoring tries to incorporate a complete statistics of the conflict-affected women and children based on the news published in various newspapers. In such scenario, Media monitoring is an on-going activity carried out by IHRICON. Monitoring programmes by IHRICON not only provides the facts and data in relation to child and women rights but can also be important as a resource publication for those who are conducting similar research.
The major objectives of the media monitoring process on children in conflict are:
- To keep abreast of news articles published on Children in Conflict issues in Nepali Print Media.
- To analyze how the media has presented Children and Conflict issues through news, editorials and articles.
- To analyze the impact of the coverage of media on policy planners, civic society, family members and individuals.
- To provide support to the victims, the Nepal Government, INGOs and NGOs to take programmes to the target group through preparation and dissemination of the final report on the media monitoring activity.
- To prepare an advocacy document for children’s rights protection and promotion.
- To enhance the awareness levels of the Journalist and concerned stakeholders and to increase the awareness of the conflicting parties about the affects of their actions. This being done to avoid women and children being subjected to the adverse affects of the conflict and thereby expect the conflicting parties to follow International and Humanitarian laws.
Sources of News Information:
This part of the media monitoring is concerned with the sources cited during news and articles writing. Analysis of the sources of the information is a way of gauging the reliability of the news..The main source of data and information for media monitoring is news and articles that has been published in different newspapers. The sources of information for news have been categorized as following.
- Security Forces (Police/army)
- Civil Society Organizations
- Various Government Sources
- International Organizations (UN/INGOs/Embassies)
- Family and friends of victims, teachers, eyewitness etc...
IHRICON has published three books as a result of its media monitoring activity called:
- Children in Armed conflict in Nepalese Print Media.
- "Children are peace Zone: Media Monitoring Directive"
- Abortion rights in Nepal: Assessing the role of media in the promotion of Women's reproductive rights